It’s sometimes useful to view PDFs you have on a website and it’d be so much easier to be able to simply double-click on them within Dreamweaver.
Dreamweaver will give you this message when you try to open it: Can’t find a valid editor for this file extension.
Here’s how you take care of that:
- Go into the Dreamweaver Preferences (From the top nav, Edit->Preferences)
- Click on File Types / Editors
- You’ll see 2 panes, one with Extensions and one with Editors. Above the Extensions pane, click on the ‘+’ button. Enter ‘.pdf’ (without quotes).
- Highlight .pdf
- Click on the ‘+’ button above the Editors pane.
- A file browser window will appear. Track down acrobat.exe and select it. For me, and most Windows users, it will be at c:Program Files (x86)AdobeAcrobat 9.0AcrobatAcrobat.exe
- (Please note that if you’re using a different version of Acrobat that your folder name will be different).
- Click on OK. You’re done.
You can follow this same procedure for other file types as well, such as Word documents for example.