Web Design, Programming, and Business

WP Update Causes 403 Error!

We just had a situation where the latest WordPress update actually caused a 403 Site Error for the whole website! So sharing the solution.

After looking into it and working with the hosting company too, we found that an update to the .htaccess file had changed the permissions for the web server.

To fix this, we just added “Options +FollowSymLinks” to the top of the default WordPress .htaccess file and voila! – the site is working again!

About the author

Aaron Day

Professionally building websites since 2002, I've worked at Microsoft, multiple agencies, and a few web design businesses of my own. I've been an owner of Thrive Web Designs since 2015. I've taught classes, run design groups and even ran a benefit auction for 4 years in my free time. I love sharing and giving back to the web/creative community. Read more...

By Aaron Day
Web Design, Programming, and Business

Custom Author Widget

Professionally building websites since 2002, I've worked at Microsoft, multiple agencies, and a few web design businesses of my own. I've been an owner of Thrive Web Designs since 2015. I've taught classes, run design groups and even ran a benefit auction for 4 years in my free time. I love sharing and giving back to the web/creative community. Read more...

Follow Me!